City Hall Art Gallery
The Lakeway Arts Committee is proud to display some area artists at Lakeway City Hall for the public to see when they visit the facility. If you are a local artist and would like to be featured at City Hall, please CLICK HERE to fill out a short online form. If you’re interested in learning more or if you have any other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently on Display (November 14, 2023): Artist Gordon A. Phillipson, NWS
"After a career in Geophysics, Computer Science and Business Management, I began attending classes at the Glassell School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston in 1998. I began classes in watercolors in 2000, and soon afterward devoted all my artist attention to this medium. I continued taking classes in Watercolor with Arthur Turner, (at the Glassell School) for the next 15 years.
My own paintings follow a strong interest in classical architecture and vintage airplanes. Although my own art form is realism, I often paint in false color or monochrome hoping to offer a new perspective to an old and familiar subject. Although my own oeuvre is realism and works on paper, I am inspired by most of the other approaches to artistic expression. Having curated numerous multi-media exhibitions at the Canal Street Gallery, (now Gallery Serrano), I have developed an appreciation and respect (and sometimes envy!) for the multitude of ways that artists find to create beauty.
I was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1939. I obtained a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Queens University in Canada in 1964, and an MS and PhD in Engineering from Case Institute of Technology in 1968, following which I joined Shell Oil Company. In 1994, I joined IBM in Paris, retiring in 1998. My wife Ellen and I, whom I married in 1966, have two sons, Michael and Christopher, and four grandchildren, Aidan, Joseph Emma and Nicholas. We live in Lakeway, Texas."
- TWS 2003
- San Diego Watercolor Society International 2003
- Transparent Watercolor Society 2004
- National Watercolor Society 2004
- Watercolor Arts Society – International show 2005
- Kansas Watercolor Society Great 8 Exhibition
- National Watercolor Society – Selected for traveling show. 2005
- Glassell School juried student show 2003, 2005
- American Watercolor Society exhibitions – Selected for traveling show. 2006
- Philadelphia Watercolor Society, 2006
- National watercolor Society, 2006
- Visual Arts Alliance, (Houston) 2007
- National Watercolor Society, 2007
- Hunting Art Prize (Finalist) 2013
- Kansas Watercolor Society Great 8 Exhibition – Darrel Ferguson Memorial Cash Award 2005
- American Watercolor Society – Bronze Medal of Honor, 2006
- National Watercolor Society – Alice Leonard Memorial Award 2006
- Philadelphia Watercolor Society Board of Directors Award, 2006
- Cloisters Gallery group show 2003, 2005, 2008
- Known and Underknown, One Allen Center Gallery 2015.
- “Warpaint’, Galveston Art Center 2005
- National Watercolor Society
- “Paint what excites you” American Artist, February, 2007